Watch our video to learn more about ThinkDIFFERENTLY’s vision
Throughout New York State, dozens of cities like Albany and Buffalo, along with many towns and villages have adopted “ThinkDIFFERENTLY” resolutions, pledging to make their communities more inclusive for individuals of every ability. If your community would like to “ThinkDIFFERENTLY” , a printable resolution is available here (pdf)
Some of the proactive steps Dutchess County has taken embrace residents of all abilities include:
- Funding, through the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program, several projects featuring accessible infrastructure – beyond traditional ramps, curb cuts and the like – which increased residents’ access to facilities and resources throughout the county, including the Julie’s Jungle adaptive playground and an adaptive baseball field for the Little League Challenger Division in the Town of Wappinger;
- Partnering with a local movie theater to offer several free Saturday morning movies to families with children with special needs, lowering the volume and raising the lights inside the theater to accommodate children with sensory issues;
- Educating law enforcement officers, corrections officers, 911 dispatchers and first responders in Crisis Intervention Training (CIT) and Mental Health First Aid, which enables them to effectively interact with individuals in crisis, including those with special needs;
- Hosting several free picnics for children with special needs and their families, bringing together these families with local agencies and organizations that serve residents with special needs;
- Partnering with the local Anderson Center for Autism to provide “Autism Supportive Environment” training, which teaches local businesses and community groups how to communicate better with and provide a more welcoming environment for residents with autism;
- Hosting the 2019 and 2020 New York Special Olympics Summer Games.
- We hosted the 2016 Special Olympics New York State Winter Games and the 2017 State Winter Games;
- Hosting the “ThinkDIFFERENTLY Dash,” a 1-mile walk/run each year through the City of Poughkeepsie for residents with special needs.
In Dutchess County, we’re fortunate so many businesses have chosen to “ThinkDIFFERENTLY” and sponsor events for residents of all abilities. If you’d like more information about becoming a “ThinkDIFFERENTLY” sponsor, contact Dana Hopkins, LCSW-R at email@example.com or (845) 486-3434.